Tuesday 19 December 2006

Apparently, for this installation, when the image is water, the water ripples under your footsteps, and when it is leaves, your footsteps causes them to scatter. What a fantastic collaboration of projection and..whatever it is that enables that effect..! I'm afraid I don't know enough about that sort of technology.. but I'd love to find out, since it's really interesting..! I like the whole idea of this man-made nature, with the mimicry of water's natural behavior.



This installation by Amy Youngs features a tank containing an artificial landscape, and a projection of motion through the glass. Using a computer interface, the crickets inside "interact" with the projected environment by chirping. Each chirp they make, advances the cricket-eye-view video footage of outdoor scenery.


I am really inspired by the idea of creating a virtual reality for the crickets..

Amazing 3D modeling by the makers of the video game, Final Fantasy series. I am interested by the environments created, which aim to be as realistc as it can be, in terms of looks. What happens, is a different matter. As well as the environments, I'm also quite taken by the rendered figures, which required the process of recording real-time actions from actors in order to have movement, and by how this mimcry of realism expresses emotions and tries to persuade you that it's believable. From the textures on the clothing, to the changing weather designs, I find it amazing how an entire world, which seems so 'solid' and almost real, can be created from scratch using computer software. At this point, my inspiration falls heavily on something that is completely man-made, and yet which attempts to mimic nature.
I have decided that I will be selecting sequences from the video game's FMV footages, and adding sound as well as visual effects which weren't there, in attempt to give it even more realism. I also want to actually film the existing sequences themselves, in order to get that 'shaky hand' effect, as if I was actually there, shooting footage of the virtual world that is created.

An example of the 3D animation of the character 'Selphie', using real life actors, and recording their actions.

An example of the 3D animation of the character 'Zell'.

An example of the 3D animation of the character "Irvine". I will be using this footage as one of the sequences in my film.

No comments: