Wednesday 6 December 2006

Old Light, New Shadows, by Georg Hartung. When I first saw this image, I thought the room had been painted.. but actually, it's a projection of positive and negative pixelslides of the room, from two positions. There's two projectors being used, and "the focus mechanisms of both are slowly and continuously in motion"...what a creepy effect. I wonder how many projectors we'll be able to use to project our film.. Another piece by Hartung. At first I was confused over this projection, trying to work out what's what, but it turns out that the mirror is reflecting the projection of the flame turned upside down onto a picture of a candle. That'd be a good idea, using mirrors and such, to make a confusing installation..
The projection of the flame onto the real candle is such a curious design! I need to think about the environment/setting in which I will project my video..and how it will relate to the meaning I'm trying to get at..
Hartung's projection idea features the showerhead giving out light instead of water! Quite an interesting idea..although I wouldn't be able to do that with a full video, unless I put a piece of paper or something that's cut like holey cheese, infront of the projector. That's if I want a broken-up video.. would be difficult to see what's happening, though..


I just found this Laser Cut piece to be rather quirky and interesting to look at.. reminding me that props can be used with the projection of the video..

Using kinetic energy, the machine can draw a heart on its own. There's something almost 'humble' about a mechanical, emotionless object depicting the symbol of human emotion. I'm really interested in this idea of something man-made, expressing a gesture of something which is natural.

No comments: